Listen Here: “Entanglement“
- To follow God, we need to feel the ugliness of our own sins and our weaknesses. Our ego needs to be defeated by the power and love of God. This happens as we wrestle with God.
- We also need to persevere. Jacob would not give up, even with a dislocated hip, until the man/angel blessed him. He was still scheming to get the best deal he could from this encounter.
- Jacob’s identity was changed; his name was changed: Jacob became Israel, “one who struggles with God.” God’s people wrestle with God. We encounter God personally.
- “Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come” (1 Corinthians 5:17).
- Wrestling with God leaves us wounded. Our wound reveals our weaknesses and causes us to depend on God. Dependence on God is the source of our healing.
Sermons are available on the website (https:www.stpaulsmarietta.org/audio). Share the link with your family and friends.