Listen Here: “Freedom & Service”
- A reflection on “Pride month” and the story of Abraham.
- Rom. 6:12 “Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, to make you obey its passions.”
- Encyclopedia Britannica: Sin, (Akkadian), Sumerian Nanna, in Mesopotamian religion, the god of the moon. Sin was the father of the sun god, Shamash (Sumerian: Utu), and, in some myths, of Ishtar (Sumerian: Inanna), goddess of Venus, and with them formed an astral triad of deities.
- Our thesis is that the God of the Bible was on a mission to change the worship practices of humanity, from human sacrifice to human sanctity, from Sin to Yahweh.
- Imagine a scenario where the population of the clan outgrew food supply. That would have been a common scenario for various forms of life: insects.
- Child sacrifice could be seen as a remedy for this scenario.
- If human sacrifice is practiced, child sacrifice would not be a problem, nor would abortion. In fact, abortion might be considered to be merciful, to spare the fetus worse suffering later.
- This line of thinking flows from Paul who tied sin to passion and sexual morality in Romans 6.
Sermons are available on the website (https:www.stpaulsmarietta.org/audio). Share the link with your family and friends.