There is a Congregational Meeting following worship today – please plan to stay.
“The Pattern of New Testament Leadership”
The Ministry of Deacons
Psalm 133:1-3 (New American Standard Bible)
The Excellency of Brotherly Unity.
A Song of Ascents, of David.
133 Behold, how good and how pleasant it is
For brothers to dwell together in unity!
2 It is like the precious oil upon the head,
Coming down upon the beard,
Even Aaron’s beard,
Coming down upon the edge of his robes.
3 It is like the dew of Hermon
Coming down upon the mountains of Zion;
For there the Lord commanded the blessing—life forever.
Interactive Outline of today’s Teaching
Included are various Scriptures Used in Today’s Lesson (All References in NASB)
Acts 6:2-5: “Now at this time while the disciples were increasing in number, a complaint arose on the part of the Hellenistic Jews against the native Hebrews, because their widows were being overlooked in the daily serving of food. 2 So the twelve summoned the congregation of the disciples and said, “It is not desirable for us to neglect the word of God in order to serve tables. 3 Therefore, brethren, select from among you seven men of good reputation, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we may put in charge of this task. 4 But we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word.” 5 The statement found approval with the whole congregation; and they chose Stephen,…”
- IF A CHURCH IS IN _ _ _ _ _ AS FAR AS ELDERS IS CONCERNED, THEN DEACONS CAN BE IDENTIFIED AND FUNCTION IN THEIR _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .
- Definition: “Servant.” “Care for the physical and logistical needs of the church so that the Elders can concentrate on their primary calling.”
- They help the Pastor and Elders do the ministry.
- SOME OF THE _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .:
1 Tim. 3:8-13: 8 Deacons likewise must be men of dignity, not double-tongued, or addicted
to much wine or fond of sordid gain, 9 but holding to the mystery of the faith with a clear
conscience. 10 These men must also first be tested; then let them serve as deacons if they are beyond reproach. 11 Women must likewise be dignified, not malicious gossips, but temperate, faithful in all things. 12 Deacons must be husbands of only one wife, and good managers of their children and their own households. 13 For those who have served well as deacons obtain for themselves a high standing and great confidence in the faith that is in Christ Jesus.
- Dignified – GR. “Honorable, respectable, esteemed, worthy.” (v. 8)
- Not double-tongued, “to say one thing to certain people but something else to others.”
- Sound in faith and life – 1. Trained in doctrine. 2. Practices it. 3. Supports church programs. (v. 9)
- Tested – No hasty appointments. (v. 10)
- Godly spouse – 1. Team effort. 2. Not involved in division or gossip (v. 11).
- THE _ _ _ _ OF DEACONS:
- Service oriented as opposed to ministry focus of Pastor and Elders (Acts 6).
- Practical Areas:
- Facilities, basic management, supplies, upkeep, etc.
- Benevolence (Acts 6).
- Finances, day to day budget, (overseen by Elders and congregation).
- Ushers, bulletins, communion preparation, set up, recovery; greeters, etc.
- Logistics. Think and look at what we do. How can we do it better?
- Possibilities and Ideas:
- Deacon Committees, e.g.,:
- Building Committee managed by an appointed deacon.
- Supply Deacon.
- Greeting and/or Usher Deacon, who manages this.
- Elder Committees (Comparison/Contrast):
- Visitation Elder. (identifies and supports visitation program).
- Evangelism Elder. (Explores church growth concepts and interfaces with
Pastor and other Elders for ideas and implementation)
- Children’s Ministry & Outreach Elder.
- Fellowship Ministry.
- Worship Service Ideas.
- Notice the difference between the service oriented Deacon role and ministry oriented Elder role.
- THE _ _ _ _ _ _ WERE FIRST IN THE N. T. CHURCHES.
- Apostles (Ministry gifted leaders established churches and appointed Elders).
- Later, the congregation, with direction and guidance from the Elders, identify called and capable deacons. Elders confirm and appoint them.
- Their primary function is service oriented (Logistical). Deacons DO IT!!!
- The Elders handled the spiritual matters and Ministry.
- Result: a continuous flow of ministry without the perpetual obligation of filling positions with sometimes uncommitted or uncalled individuals.
- God is not looking for perfect leaders. But He is calling imperfect individuals to perfect His Church.
- He is giving some the desire to service His Church and His world as Elders and Deacons.
- Our responsibility is to identify them and appoint them.
- He blesses us when we align ourselves with His ways.
10:00 – 11:00 AM – in the Parish Hall Lower Level. A Children’s Church program is available weekly on Sunday mornings.
10:00 – 11:00 AM – in the Parish Hall Lower Level. Available every Sunday morning during the worship service.
Sunday Morning Worship:
10:00 AM – in the Sanctuary. Join us today for Pastor Tom Hendershot’s sermon “The Pattern of New Testament Leadership (The Ministry of Deacons).”